🚊 Day Trip From Barcelona To Figueres On your own!
Figueres, located just 140km outside of Barcelona, is the birthplace of Salvador Dalí. You can easily travel to this charming Catalan town from Barcelona (to Figueres) on your own without a guided tour!
This small town’s main attraction in the Dalí Theatre-Museum, which houses the largest collection of Dalí works and attracts thousands of visitors each year. Even if you are not a fan of surreal art, Figueres and this museum are worth the journey! In Figueres you can get a glimpse into what Catalonia is like outside of it’s capital city, Barcelona.
What to See & Do in Figueres
- Dalí Theatre-Museum
This museum not only holds the largest collection of Salvador Dalí's works but also his grave! Visiting the museum, designed by Dalí himself, is an experience like no other. Dalí more than succeeds at his goal for “The people who come to see it will leave with the sensation of having had a theatrical dream”. There are not only paintings and sketches, but also sculptures, collages, and mechanical devices that Dalí created! Before venturing out to Figueres, it is recommended that you pre-purchase tickets. This can easily be done through the museum's website.
- Casa Natal de Salvador Dalí
The home of the Dalí family when Salvador was born.
- Castell de Sant Ferran
This is a large military fortress that was built in the eighteenth century. More information about this site can be found on their website.
- Església de Sant Pere
One of the oldest churches in Figueres, dating back to the 10th & 11th centuries. Part of the old city wall can be seen attached to the foot of the bell tower.
- Explore the historic core and La Rambla de Figueres
Pedestrian friendly streets lined with shops and restaurants.
- Try the local pastries, flaona and fulla
Getting from Barcelona To Figueres On your own!
From Barcelona, there are several tour companies that offer group and private tours to Figueres. If you prefer to go at your own pace, and save a little money at the same time, it is possible to get from Barcelona to Figures on your own! Aside from driving from Barcelona via rental car or taxi, you can get there easily by high speed train.
- From Barcelona-Sants (the main train station in Barcelona) book roundtrip tickets to and from Figueres-Vilafant.
- Select a train that has no transfers and takes 55 minutes. There are usually 3 trains that leave in the morning and a few trains returning in the afternoon/ evening.
- Reservations are required for your tickets. These can be booked at the counter at Barcelona-Sants or online through Spain Rail or Renfe.
- Round trip tickets cost €35 per person.
- Arrive a little early to your scheduled train departure because there will be security and trains are punctual.
- Once arriving in Figueres-Vilafant you can take the not so scenic 1.5 km walk into town or directly to the Dalí Theatre-Museum.
- It is also possible to catch a taxi (but we never saw any) or the L1 bus. We decided against the bus since it required almost as much walking as just making our way into town by ourselves.
How Much Time Should I Allow in Figueres
The answer to this question is very dependent on how much of a Salvador Dalí fan you are. The typical person spends 1.5 to 2 hours in the Dalí Theatre-Museum.
We took the 9:10 am train from Barcelona-Sants and arrived in Figueres around 10:05 am. We casually walked from the train station to the Dalí Theatre-Museum and entered at our scheduled 11:00 am ticket time. We toured the museum for an hour and a half and then explored around town. At 2:00 pm we ate a nice lunch in the Plaça de l’Església. Then walked back to the station to catch our 3:59p train.
Wanting more information on our travels in Spain?
If looking for tips and Itineraires to help you plan your travels through Spain check out: